Monday, August 27, 2012

Baju Melayu Is Awesome

Assalamualaikum peepers and stalkers :))


I'm really happy that you guys decided to drop by... Or maybe I'm the only one dropping by?? .. Wow I had just hurt my pride by myself.


Today I wanna talk about the traditional garment for Malay men in Malaysia:: it's called Baju Melayu.


For those of you who don't know how a set of baju melayu looks like;; please ask Mister Google because I'm currently in a fight with him because he refused to bring more traffic to my blog.


Pointless;; I know.


Talking about points;; the point I wrote this  post is to profess my love for Baju Melayu wearers.


I love seeing guys strutting around proudly wearing their <>Baju Melayus;; it feels so patriotic.


In KL;; there's alot of garment styles. Most KLites are fashion conscious and as many traditional garments;; Baju Melayu is not exempted to be thrown into the 'unfashionable' category because of it's deep roots in history and it is my suspicion that it's also because it didn't came from another country.


Malays love Western fashion;; to the point that the women are not ashamed to go out of the house wearing shorts;; LBDs;; straplesses;; bustiers;; and spaghetti straps.


Malay men are not to be excepted from this reality:: they wear bracelets;; have their bodies painted with tattooes;; pierced their ears and tongues;; and wear skimpy shirts (it's embarassing to look at -not just women;; but men;; too- wearing tight things).


I mean;; where is the 'Malay' in that?


What is the meaning of Malay actually?


Well;; according to the Perlembagaan Negara;; a person is called a Malay when ::


1. Is a muslim

2. Have one or both parents that is or are Malays

3. Practice Malay culture.


Is wearing tattoes a Malay culture? Is wearing strapless dresses acceptable in Malay tradition?


The most important question is this:: why are all these fashion choices not acceptable in Malay culture?


It's because our culture:: our pantang larangs;; our selokas;; our legends;; our pesan-pesans;; our attires;; all of them leaned heavily towards the Islamic way of life.


So;; be proud of Baju Melayu.


Be proud of being a Malay.


Be proud because you're a muslim.

No comments: